Travel Ban: Which VISA holders can come back?

Can you come back to Australia during the Travel Ban?

🔹 489/491 VISA Holders

As 489/491 Visa holders are not Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen yet, as long the ban is in place, these visa holders if offshore currently will not be allowed to be back in Australia. 

🔹 Will any concessions be available for visa holders unable to comply with their current visa conditions?

However, the department is taking a flexible approach to visa holders in these circumstances, including in the following situations:


Requests for waiver of the ‘No Further Stay’ condition (8503, 8534 and 8535)

Timeframes in relation to health, character and English language requirements for applicants.

🔹 Student VISA Holders

Student Visa holders, for the time being, are not allowed to enter Australia until the Ban is lifted. 

However, concessions may be available for students who have been unable to return to Australia due to the travel ban.

The Department of Home Affairs plays no role in authorizing the modes of study for international students and is guided by education sector regulators, the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards  Agency (TEQSA)  and the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), on whether students can count online learning towards completion of their course.

But, we expect that the government will take action in the foreseeable future to assist the International Students on their way back to Australia once the ban is lifted. 

🔹 Visa holders in Australia

You must apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. You may be eligible to be granted a bridging visa that will keep you lawful until a decision is made on your visa application. 

No further stay condition (includes 8503, 8534 and 8535)

This means you can't apply for most other visas until you leave Australia.

 If your visa has less than 2 months' validity remaining you can request to waive this condition.

Condition 8558 (Non-resident cannot stay for more than 12 months in any 18 months period)


👉 For any Migration, Study or Visa related query, book a FREE Consultation with us. You can now conduct ONLINE ZOOM Consultation with us.

Registered Migration Agent (MARN1572961, MARN1172003)