Re-Opening Australia, Travel Ban

and Visa Implication

Visa APplication_Intetrnational Student_

When will Travel ban be lifted and restrictions be eased in Australia? / When will International Students be allowed to come back in Australia

The Australian Government announced on March 19 2020 a travel ban for all non-residents and non-citizens of Australia. Last month the Government had announced a three step reopening plan during this lock-down to get Australia back on track.


Step 1

will focus on carefully reopening the economy, and giving Australians opportunities to return to work and social activities, including gatherings of up to 10 people, up to 5 visitors in the family home and some local and regional travel

Step 2 (1st June 2020)

Gatherings of up to 20, and more businesses reopening, including gyms, beauty services and entertainment venues like galleries and cinemas, Australia will witness it's first sight of proper social interactions. 

Step 3 (22nd June 2020)

Gatherings up to 100 people will be allowed and offices will be reopening. Arrangements under step 3 will be the ‘new normal’ while the virus remains a threat. International travel and mass gatherings over 100 people will remain restricted.

Finally, the plan is to get Australia back on it’s feet by Mid July.

Travel Ban

Travel bans are still in place until further notice. But, we can expect that the government’s measurement and the precautions will be successful and soon overseas students will be allowed to travel and apply for Visas.

But nothing is confirmed as of now until further notice.

I am an International Student who is currently outside of Australia, when can I return to Australia?

If you are an International student who is currently outside of Australia, you can continue studying online, your current student visa will not be impacted as long as it is valid. As of this point, you will not be allowed to enter Australia until the border reopens.

The Group of Eight universities — a coalition of the biggest and most highly-ranked universities in Australia — has proposed a “secure corridor framework” to federal and state governments.

If it is approved, students from countries deemed safe would be able to return subject to certain requirements, such as strict health checks, Government is expected to make an announcement regarding this soon.

If your Visa is expiring soon, You will need to apply for a new VISA. You can not stay or return to Australia without a Valid VISA.

🔸 For Student Visa (subclass 500) holders

If you are in this situation:​

  • you cannot return to your home country and your visa is expiring

  • you need more time in Australia to complete your course.

You need to apply for a new Student visa six weeks before your existing Student visa expires.

There is no need to provide evidence of the impacts of COVID-19 with your Student visa application.

If your study in Australia is ending, you can apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

You need to do this before your student visa expires.

 You may be eligible to apply for a extension for your current course or new Student Visa if you wish to apply for a new course.

🔸 For Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) holders

If you already on this visa, you cannot get an extension to prolong this visa and you cannot overstay.

If you are currently overseas and you completed your course end of last year, you have until September this year to apply for this visa.

🔸 For Tourist Visa and Visitor Visa Holders

If You hold a Tourist Visa which is expiring and due to the Travel Ban you are not allowed to travel back to your country, you will have to apply for a new Visa before your current visa expiry date.

Please note that you cannot overstay your current visa and breach the visa conditions, it is essential to lodge a new visa application before the current one expires.


🔸 Working Holiday Visa Holders

Working Holiday Visa holders are not allowed to apply for a Tourist Visa while they are in Australia, but since the COVID-19 Coronavirus is considered as an exceptional case, you are now allowed to apply for a Tourist Visa onshore, however, please note that you will not be able to work under Tourist Visa.

👉 If you are unsure about the changes or want professional advice regarding your Visa, book an Online Consultation with us:

Registered Migration Agent (MARN1572961, MARN1172003)


👉If you want to apply for a course or change your existing course/school, book a FREE Online Consultation with us:

At RACC Australia, we do not charge any service fee for student visa application.