top of page

TR 485

Graduate Work stream

Welfare Worker - Migration pathway, invitation rounds

A welfare worker ‘Assists individuals, families and groups with social, emotional or financial difficulties to improve quality of life, by educating and supporting them and working towards change in their social environment.’

Common Occupation Titles for Welfare workers

  • Housing Officer, Counsellor (AOD, family, grief etc.)

  • Case Manager/Case Worker, Multicultural Support Officer

  • Child Protection Practitioner, Community Corrections Worker

  • Crisis Intervention Worker etc.

Depending on your work responsibilities, you would be needs different Skills assessment for ''Community Worker" and "Welfare Worker". ''Welfare Worker" job description generally includes:

  • researching and analysing community issues, needs and problems

  • developing, evaluating and maintaining community resources and programs

  • evaluating data and writing reports such as submissions requesting funding for continuing programs and new projects

  • identifying issues of local need, concerns and aspirations through community consultation

  • organising local sporting, cultural and recreational events and activities such as community functions, hobby classes, community arts projects and sporting competitions

  • providing support while exploring alternatives with clients who experience difficulties such as marital problems, unemployment, illness and drug abuse

  • assessing risks and providing intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic violence, child abuse, disasters and other crises

  • assisting to establish and administer neighbourhood houses, community groups, employment training programs and other services

"Welfare Worker" is under UNIT GROUP 2726 whereas "Community Worker" is under UNIT GROUP 4117.
Read more about ''Community Worker" - Migration and Study pathway here

Major difference between ''Community Worker" and "Welfare worker" skills assessment

  • One of the major difference between ''Community Worker" and "Welfare Worker" skills assessment is that for non ACWA related relevant study backgrounds, an applicant for "Welfare worker" needs 2 years of full time work experience within the last 4 years whereas as "Community Workers" need 1 year of full time work experience.

  • However, for ACWA accredited study background with proper field placement, you may not need work experience to get a positive skills assessment.


Australian Community Worker Association (ACWA) is the accredited body to do skills assessment for ''Welfare Worker" profession. Not all Community Work related courses are accredited by ACWA. So, if you are considering to step in to this industry and looking for your study pathway, it is important that you choose the right course to get valid accreditation.

At RACC, our Education Team can help you choose the right course and we do not charge any service fee for student visa application if you apply for a course through us. 

Book a Free phone Consultation:

Welfare Workers received invitation in the latest invitation rounds in Victoria and NSW.

  • Invitations were issued with only 65 points + 15 points = 80 points in Victoria to Welfare workers.

  • Also, NSW issued invitations under subclass 190 and subclass 491 to Community workers. For NSW subclass 491, if you have a positive skills assessment, you can apply even if you are residing in other states. For subclass 491, ''Welfare Worker'' is in the list on Far South Coast, Hunter, Murray, Northern Inland, Orana, Riverina, Southern Inland region.

  • In February 2022, ''Welfare workers" received NSW 190 invitation with only 70 points + 5 points = 75 points.

Read more on Application submission window and latest news for Victoria and NSW State and Regional sponsor:

Find the official data for latest invitations for ''Welfare Workers" across different states:

Welfare-worker-Skills-assessment (1).webp

Change Current Course

If you are currently studying in a different field and, COVID-19 and any personal preference have impacted your decision and you choose to switch or change your field of study/course to Nursing, you may be eligible to do that.

At RACC Australia - Education and Migration Services,

  • We do not charge any service fees for student visa applications.

  • No service fee for change of School

Book a Free Consultation:


  • RACC Education & Migration Services

  • 15 years of experience

  • We can help you with applying for all Visa and Courses

  • No service charge for student visa application*

  • 4.9 out of 5 customer satisfaction (Google Rating)

  • Our Team speak multiple languages

English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Indonesia, Malay, Bangla, Tagalog, Vietnamese, etc.​

​Book a Consultation with RACC Australia - Education and Migration Services

Diploma of Nursing Adelaide
bottom of page